Friday, February 9, 2018

Weekly Update- Friday, February 9, 2018

Happy Friday, everyone!
Thank you to everyone who helped out in my absence on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday - especially Lorri Harrison and Justin Lang.  I attended the Minnesota Elementary School Principals' Association Institute in Bloomington.  It is great professional learning for me - it also made me appreciate (even more!) the work we are doing around all kids and student learning.  I am proud of all you are doing!!

This was on Twitter this week - the question applies to anyone who works with children.   What do your student do differently because YOU are their teacher?

#allstudentsmatter Winner!
Our #allstudentsmatter Twitter winner for the week is Jen Koziolek!   Jen has been tweeting this week about the work her team has been doing around PLCs and ensuring all students matter!  Jen, stop and see me for you $10 Starbucks gift card!  Nice work! 

Guided/Small Group Instruction:
As many of you know, Libby and I both taught a guided group lesson in Kayla Davis's classroom last week.  It was great to get back into working with students around literacy - makes me miss teaching even more!  This was a very eye-opening experience for me as your principal.  I will share some of my thoughts at our next Staff Power Hour - particularly around  condensing the lesson down to only 15-20 minutes (and doing less teacher talk!).  I want to continue this practice of getting around to work with you on instruction - don't be alarmed when I ask to teach with you!  

Principal-Student Advisory Lunch:
As you know, we started a Principal-Student Advisory Lunch this year.   This is a time for me to meet with students, enjoy lunch, and hear about school (from their viewpoint).  This has been a very valuable experience for me - it's great to talk with students about what life is like from their viewpoint!

As I meet, I am keeping track of the "data" and themes of what is being shared.  One of the biggest themes I hear is all about relationships.   Our students truly know you care and are there for them - at all times.  And, as I talk with them (especially 3rd-5th graders), I hear about all their former teachers, too.  I can say this is the greatest thing about McKinley - you truly care for all kids.  Nice work!  

STEAM Family Night - Tuesday:
We have a STEAM Family Night next Tuesday, February 13.  More information will be coming home today with students (I dropped the ball on this!).  If you are available on Tuesday night, stop by and join our families in a fun-filled night of "Design-Solve-Create!"  Join us if you can!  

MCA Testing Security Meeting:
Don't forget - we have our MCA Testing Security training this coming Wednesday, February 14th.  There are two options - 7:10am or 2:40pm.   If you are working with MCA testing at all, please plan on attending a training (I have reached out to you already).  

Building Weekly Newsletter:

McKinleystrong Educator of the Week:
Our #Mckinleystrong Educator of the Week goes to 2nd Grade Teacher, Katie Demmer!  Katie is a deep thinker who is always looking for ways to grow and develop - to meet students' needs.  Katie is purposeful in the instruction she plans - her lessons are purposeful and engaging to meet her learners' needs.  Katie is also compassionate and collaborative, with both families and staff.  Nice work, Katie!


Have a great weekend, everyone!
-Justin 

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 4 Update

Happy Homecoming! Another great week at McKinley!    Toot Your Horn Thursday: This week's Toot Your Horn Thursday Winner is Brenda Hager...