Friday, January 6, 2017

Weekly Update- Friday, January 6, 2017

Happy New Year! 

2017 brings along with it change and resolutions.  Over break, I saw a question on Twitter that made me think- "How have you changed as an educator in 2016?" (Please remember- when I use the word "educator", I mean any staff in this building... we all work to influence our students' learning).  This question made me stop and think.  Right away, I thought at a basic level -  the discipline has decreased this year in the building, I've tried to balance my personal and work life, etc...   Over the course of that day, that question still stuck with me, at a much deeper level.  There are many ways I have continued to grow and develop as an educator in 2016 - in both my thoughts and actions. Over the course of the next week, let that question stick with you- "How have you changed as an educator in 2016?" 

A couple reminders about next week:
  • Integration Subouts start next week.   These are half-day subouts to work in integration for January/February.  Please come a "focus" in mind and bring any resources you need. 
  • Family Math Night is Thursday night from 6-7pm.  We are serving pizza and having a board game night (with a math focus).  Join us if you can! 
Student Lockers:
Please remember to have students put their winter boots on the floor, not on top of lockers.  The water from their boots will rust the lockers. 

School Gardens:
Over break I also saw a great article on how school gardens are becoming teaching spaces.  It immediately made me think of our building and the momentum around outdoor learning.  Here is a link to the article:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/as-school-gardens-spread-so-do-the-teaching-moments/2016/12/06/98e864f0-b8bf-11e6-b994-f45a208f7a73_story.html?utm_term=.0adecef5dbea

A Snapshot of Learning:

 Our "welcome back" PBIS Assembly was a hit!  Thank you to Justin Lang and Annette Warner for their hard work in planning this!





Lori Huisenga's 2nd graders turned this cold weather into a positive thing!  2C observed states of matter changes (liquid to solid and liquid to gas) with bubbles and the cold air.  The students observed from inside! 


Building Weekly Newsletter
Click here to access the weekly building newsletter

Valet Parking for the Week
The Valet Parking for the week goes to Lorri Harrison!  As you all know, this place would be in disarray without Lorri.  Lorri's commitment to our students, parents, and staff is impeccable.  One of the things I appreciate about Lorri the most is the way she keeps me (and maybe us) focused on what is important.  When life gets crazy, Lorri keeps me focused on why I went into this job.  Lorri is one of a kind.  Keep up the great work, Lorri!


Have a great weekend, everyone!  Stay warm!!
-Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 4 Update

Happy Homecoming! Another great week at McKinley!    Toot Your Horn Thursday: This week's Toot Your Horn Thursday Winner is Brenda Hager...