Friday, December 1, 2023

December 1 Update

Can you believe it's already December???

We had a PTO Open Gym last night.   What a great activity - the kids had a blast.   A  HUGE thank you to Zach Waletich for organizing the activities and leading them.  If you see him today, please share a thank you.  He went above and beyond to make this a great night!  






Building Observation:
I've had three people in the last month share some feedback with me (separately).   All three people have intentionally found me to share the positive energy in the building - the "welcoming feel", the smiles, and the positivity.  I heard comments like "Everyone seems so happy" and "I want to come work there".  

Each of you play such a critical role in the climate and culture of our building.  Kudos to each of you for making McKinley such an amazing place!   

Scaffolds & Supports:
I saw this picture on Twitter over the weekend and it's made me think a lot about the way we support students.   Bare with me as I share my thoughts....

We create amazing supports for students, every single day.  This can be academic supports, social emotional supports, adult supports, etc.  We do a great job of getting this into place.  Do we do the same when it comes to removing the supports?  Do we have a plan to create independence in students or are we velcroing students to a support and never releasing them from this support?  I believe our brains are wired to develop the supports and slowly ease students into these.  Do we follow a gradual release after the student has showed some independence or mastery, and slowly remove some of the supports?  Or, do we leave these in place and create a crutch instead?   If you've read this far, please email me to be entered in for a drawing.

Our students are like the above Statute of Liberty -  do we leave these supports up or remove them to truly see the beauty of the work?  

Visitors to Building Wednesday:
Next Wednesday, December 6, we will have some visitors to the building in the Learning Studio all morning.  My elementary principal association, MESPA, will host a regional meeting here.   This is just an FYI that you will see visitors in that area.

Building Weekly Newsletter:


Have a great weekend!
-Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 4 Update

Happy Homecoming! Another great week at McKinley!    Toot Your Horn Thursday: This week's Toot Your Horn Thursday Winner is Brenda Hager...