Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Stump the Teacher!

Hi,
I shared this at a few sub outs- I thought I'd share with everyone. 

This is an activity called "Stump the Teacher".  This activity is good for any age of student (you would need to modify sheet based on your grade level).   This activity teaches students:
*how to write higher-level questions
*use text to find evidence (to support your answer)
*how to defend your answer/thoughts using the text

Basically, students read a shared, common text.  For their second read, students are given the graphic organizer to complete.  You will notice the first time they complete this, they will write lower level questions (they realize that that higher-level questions aren't always answered so quickly).  They need to write a question, the page number, and the evidence to support their answer.  I usually let them work with a partner.

After, they come together and play "Stump the Teacher" against you.  The scoring sheet is on the graphic organizer.  You take turns having students ask their question- then, you answer them using the text.  You will want to play this by their engagement- if they are losing interest, give them some more points. 

If you want me to come in and play it with your class, let me know.  I'm serious.  I love playing this!

-Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 4 Update

Happy Homecoming! Another great week at McKinley!    Toot Your Horn Thursday: This week's Toot Your Horn Thursday Winner is Brenda Hager...